National Project Management Excellence Awards 2019
“Best of the Best” in Project Management in Sri Lanka
The Colombo Sri Lanka Chapter of the Project Management Institute plans to recognize and honor the best practitioners of Project Management, and their achievements in the project management field. The annual awards program shall be known as National Project Management Excellence Awards 2019. PMI Colombo Sri Lanka Chapter is the sole administrator of the NPME 2019 Awards Program.
The purpose of this award is to recognize and honor Sri Lankan Project Managers/Project Management Teams and organizations which has made outstanding contribution(s) to the development of the country or a large community of the country and also to improve the practice of project management profession whilst demonstrating leadership and initiative by advancing project management concepts, techniques, best practices and theories.
Any legally registered entity in Sri Lanka ie: Government department or agency, business organization, NGO, for profit or not-for profit organization can submit their projects to be evaluated for NPME 2019.
To be eligible for the NPME awards the project must;
a) be managed by a Sri Lankan citizen
b) have had an approved scope, schedule, and budget, and implemented within reasonable tolerance in each constraint
c) be located inside the territorial boundaries of Sri Lanka
d) have at least 50% of the project team inclusive of the Project Manager be located within the boundaries of Sri Lanka
e) Projects Completed by 31 March 2019 and has been accepted as completed by the Sponsor Client or beneficiary prior to nomination and
f) Have significant and tangible outcome or benefit to the Sri Lankan nation
- Projects performed under contract to PMI, directly or indirectly, will not be considered.
- Current PMICSL Board Members VPs and above, Current PMICSL Committee Members and NPME Awards 2019 working committee members are not eligible for this award.
Number of Awards
Only two awards (winner and runner up) per each category will be given. Each nominated entry is evaluated and ranked only against other nominees under the same award category described herein.
The Awards committee reserves the right not to select a recipient for a particular year for this category if the review performed indicates that nominations do not meet the stated criteria.
Criterion for all categories
The contribution(s) demonstrated the inattentiveness within the corporate or individual’s environment.
Examples of the above contribution(s) include:
- Demonstrated use of PMBoK 10 principals
- Completion of the project within time, scope and budget and outcomes of which resulted in producing best practices that were adopted within other project of that organization or other organizations
- Instrumental or pioneering in advancing the maturity level of project management
- Contributions to the profession’s understanding and/or practice of project management
The nominated project must have been successfully completed using processes and approaches consistent with A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge. That consistency must be clearly delineated in the submitted materials. (Note: To purchase a copy of PMI’s A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, visit PMI Marketplace at www.pmi.org/marketplace/)
The evaluation would be carried out on the following, as evidenced by a sufficient documentation from the relevant parties;
- Met or exceeded Owner, Client or major stakeholder’s requirements when compared with original established specific project goals
- Met or improved on budget and schedule performance when compared with original established budget and schedule goals
- Demonstrated originality and uniqueness of applied project management techniques, including innovative application of practices/methods
- Exhibited technical aspects and advancement of the project management profession through effective application of the ten (10) PMBOK ® Guide Knowledge Areas
- Demonstrated complexity of the project and unusual conditions, issues, and barriers requiring special management team action and performance
Presentation of the Award and Recognition
The Winners and Runners up of all NPME 2019 Awards will be presented at the National Project Management Excellence Awards 2019 to be held on 21 October 2019.
The awards will be publicized through PMI communication channels and external media after the presentation of the award. PMICSL will acknowledge the Winner and Runner of the entire award categories at specified PMI events and also through their website and electronic media.
The final awards nominees, ie Winners and runners up will be notified that an award is due for them prior to the event. However they will not be informed of the actual award. The Project Manager or a person designated by the project team should be available to receive the award.
Nomination Package Guidelines
Nomination Package Format and Rules
- Nomination packages that exceed the stated page counts (see Nomination Package Content) will not be evaluated.
- The nomination package must be in English.
- Nomination packages that are incomplete or are received after the submission deadline will not be reviewed.
- By submitting this package, the nominator has given or obtained permission to use the submitted copyrighted materials in PMI® public relations and marketing activities.
Nomination Package Content
A cover letter that identifies all materials and documentation contained in the nomination and that ensures that the documentation meets all requirements
- Project Charter (inception report feasibility study)
- Project Management Plan
- Project Scope Statement
- Work Breakdown Structure
- Project Schedule in Gantt chart form
- Project Cost Sheet
- Risk Management Plan (risk register)
- Project Close Report
- Acceptance Letter
The nomination process will be in 2 steps:
Step 1: The nominee will submit duly completed application package with all the supporting documents on or before 31 August 2019 to the following address.
The Project Director
National Project Management Excellence Awards “Best of the Best” 2019
C/O The PMI Colombo Sri Lanka Chapter
40 Chitra Lane
Phone: Dhammike 0777 810899
Step 2: The shortlisted nominees maybe called upon for a 20-minute presentation in order for the judges to make a final decision.
The applicant organization must:
- Ensure that there are no restrictions on the use of submitted information and that permission has been obtained for the use of copyrighted materials included in the package
- Assemble all supporting materials
- Submit the nomination package
- Present the project if called upon to do so
Nomination packages and all artifacts must be received before 31 August 2019 and must be submitted at the NPME2019 Project Office either by post or hand delivery.
Verification Process and Selection
The Awards Administrator will send the nomination packages to the designated panel of reviewers, who are subject matter experts within the PMI® membership, for evaluation who will also verify the nomination(s) eligibility and that the nomination package meets all criteria.
- The organization will be notified of the status of the nomination at the conclusion of the evaluation process
- The evaluation process and notification shall be completed by 20 September 2019
General Terms and Conditions
- Applicant must agree that:
- The nomination package will be completed in close conformance with the established format
- All necessary clearances, releases, and permissions needed for public release of all submitted materials will be obtained in writing
- Expenses will not be reimbursed for assembling the nomination package or for any presentation materials that may need to be created should the project be selected as the winner
Any queries pertaining to this award should be sent to email@example.com clearly mentioning “Clarification on NPME Awards 2019" in the subject line.
The decision of the designated panel of reviewers will be final.
In case the panel of reviewers feels that none of the individual submissions meet the minimum standards as stipulated in this web page, the award will stand cancelled and no Winner and / or Runner up will be announced.
31 August 2019 : Last date for submission of initial information about the award nomination
30 September 2019 : Last date for presentations of Projects by shortlisted nominees
21 October 2019 : NPME 2019 Awards Ceremony